Community Matters: Service-Learning in Engaged Design and Planning by Mallika Bose, Paperback
Winner of the EDRA 2015 Book Award!Community Matters: Service Learning in Engaged Design and Planning explores issues that resonate with a...
|Publisher:||Taylor & Francis|
|Series:||Earthscan Tools for Community Planning Series|
|Product dimensions:||5.88(w) x 8.26(h) x 0.82(d)|
Winner of the EDRA 2015 Book Award!
Community Matters: Service Learning in Engaged Design and Planning explores issues that resonate with a diverse group of design and planning educators drawn to the challenge of supporting greater community building and empowerment while combining learning with practice. The book explores such questions as:
- How do we foster mutuality and reciprocity in community-academy partnerships?
- What conflicts, challenges, limits and obstacles do we face in our service-learning studios and projects?
- What evidence do we have of our impacts on students and communities and how are we responding?
- How are we being attentive to the contemporary environmental and societal issues?
- What is our role as both designers and agents of societal change?
- How are we innovating to enable greater capacities for individuals, future practitioners and communities?
This book provides compelling evidence that educators should be adopting engaged pedagogies, research methods and theories through which they can bring together education, practice and scholarship at the boundary of community and academy.